Unified Registration System
December 30, 2015
Author: Kim Schumacher, Account Administrator
The URS, also known as the Unified Registration System, is a new online electronic system that will make the registration process much easier for companies that are regulated by the FMCSA. Instead of having to deal with multiple sites or steps, the URS will have everything needed to register all in one convenient location. All interstate motor carriers, freight forwarders, brokers, IEP’s, HMSP applicants/holders and cargo tank manufacturing and repair facilities are required to use the new URS.
- December 15, 2015: Any new application registering for a USDOT number must use the URS.
- September 30, 2016: Any current or new company will be required to use the URS system for a new application and to make updates.
*FMCSA no longer accepts faxes or paper forms of any kinds.
- December 31, 2016: any private or exempt carrier will be required to carry insurance and will also need to have a BOC-3 filing in force.
This new system will combine the many forms that companies are required to submit into one simple process which will in turn save the industry and FMCSA time and money. It is projected that almost $9 million from time and fees will be saved over a 10 year span.
Currently, there are about 16% of new companies registering that are doing so by submitting paper applications. There will be companies out there that do not have access to the internet. However, they do have other options such as third party processing agents or they can obtain internet access at public libraries or kiosks at truck stops and travel centers.
The FMCSA implemented this new rule in an effort to simplify the registration process. They want to save companies the hassle of having to fill out the mountain of paperwork that comes along with the registration process. It will also allow the FMCSA to keep more accurate records of any companies that are registered under the FMCSA.
- “Unified Registration System.” Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. N.p., Dec. 2015. Web. 30 Dec. 2015.
- Green, Troy. “FMCSA Launches Online Unified Registration System That Strengthens Safety and Improves Efficiency.” Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. N.p., 17 Dec. 2015. Web. 30 Dec. 2015.