Size Matters – New Minimum Password Requirements
Effective March 12, 2016 we will be increasing the minimum Cottingham & Butler network password length from 8 to 12 characters.
The change to the password length for your network login will be implemented the weekend of March 12th, however you may not be impacted immediately, as the requirement for 12 characters applies the next time you are prompted to change your password. When prompted, your new 12+ character password will continue to require a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. Many best practices state that a password should be a phrase that you can easily remember, with a mix of upper/lower case letters, numbers, and special characters.
Why are we making a change?
Any password with 8 characters can be cracked by an attacker in as few as 2 days. A password with 12+ characters can take thousands of years due to the increased number of possible combinations.
Follow these easy tips to make sure your password is strong and secure:
- Use a combination of letters, numbers and special characters (required)
- Do not use obvious language such your first & last name, a pet’s name or your birthday
- Try a favorite phrase that is easy to remember but hard to guess
- Never write down or store your password in plain sight
- Use different passwords for different accounts and logins
Your attention to this matter and all IT security policies is appreciated. Please continue to watch for additional Cottingham & Butler Cyber Smart communications for additional tips and to further understand your responsibilities as a Cottingham & Butler employee.